[Web4lib] RE: [ALACOUN:14893] Content Management RFP

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Tue May 24 20:17:01 EDT 2005

>>> "Drew, Bill" <drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU> 05/24/05 07:07PM >>>
As an ALA and LITA member, I fully support this decision to look for a new CMS.  I have complained as loudly and as often as others about the website.  I have also done some investigation into CMS when lloking at managing our blog and website.  It is not an easy choice to make.  I am looking forward to future improvements in the ALA website and in ALA's >net presence.

As Bill alludes, CMS can be a tricky business--you give up a certain amount of control for the ability to have multiple users, and multiple levels of users, provide and maintain content.  The trick is not to give up *all* control over design, which seems to be what happened to ALA--and they are not alone.  I'm delighted they're looking for other options, and hope they'll listen to Karen and Bill and others with experience when making their decision.  Fingers crossed.

Louise

Louise E. Alcorn     --    Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy
West Des Moines IA 50265
(515) 222-3573      louise.alcorn at wdm-ia.com