[Web4lib] global variables versus local variables

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon May 23 10:38:58 EDT 2005

When I was learning programming that had local and global variables, the
local variables were billed as being more "safe" because other routines
could not inadvertently modify or delete them. You chose local or global
depending on the role of the data element in relation to the
sub-routines, not based on efficiency. And with the speed of today's
computers, the difference in efficiency between a global and a local
variable may not be significant for most applications.

Others can undoubtedly explain this better than I.

kc

John Fitzgibbon wrote:

>Hi,
>
>When programming and when writing scripts, we are encouraged to use
>variables that are local in scope whenever we can.
>
>However, defining a variable within a sub-routine, as in VbScript, means
>the variable is defined every time the sub-routine is run whereas
>defining it outside the sub-routine means the variable is defined only
>once. Why is it more efficient to define a variable within a
>sub-routine?
>
>Also, defining a variable within a loop causes the variable to be
>defined afresh with each instance of the loop. Again this appears
>inefficient but is generally done when a 'for loop' is run in
>JavaScript.
>
>I don't doubt that local variables have their uses; I'm simply seeking
>an explanation.
>
>Regards
>John
>
>John Fitzgibbon
>
>John Fitzgibbon
>
>Galway Public Library
>Island House
>Cathedral Square
>Galway
>Ireland
>
>p: 00 353 91 562471
>f: 00 353 91 565039
>w: http://www.galwaylibrary.ie

>Tá eolas atá príobháideach agus rúnda sa ríomhphost seo
>agus aon iatán a ghabhann leis agus is leis an duine/na daoine
>sin amháin a bhfuil siad seolta chucu a bhaineann siad.
>Mura seolaí thú, níl tú údaraithe an ríomhphost nó aon iatán
>a ghabhann leis a léamh, a chóipáil ná a úsáid.
>Má tá an ríomhphost seo faighte agat trí dhearmad,
>cuir an seoltóir ar an eolas thrí aischur ríomhphoist
>agus scrios ansin é le do thoil.
>
>This e-mail and any attachment contains information which is
>private and confidential and is intended for the addressee
>only. If you are not an addressee, you are not authorised
>to read, copy or use the e-mail or any attachment.
>If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
>the sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.

kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net
ph.: 510-540-7596
fx.: 510-848-3913
mo.: 510-435-8234