[WEB4LIB] RE: mr. sid

Jian Liu jiliu at script.lib.indiana.edu
Wed May 18 15:03:52 EDT 2005

I installed it here at Indiana University Libraries for a project I am
still working on, to be released later this month or early next month.

It is definitely an viable way of presenting graphics on the web,
especially for large files. The files I processed averaged 15 mb each
before using MRSID. After a 12:1 compression, the files become about 1.3
mb. It is a lossy compression, though the quality is still pretty good.
The zooming and panning features do make an impressive display.

The image server is fairly easy to install. I tried the NT version first,
and then realized it requires MS web server, and my NT is the workstation
version. I then tried to Solaris version, and failed because mine is
5.5.1. Finally, I installed it on a pc with linux, and it seems to be
working fine.

I didn't get much technical support.

Jian Liu