No subject

Turner,Kathleen kt32 at EXCHANGE1.DREXEL.EDU
Wed May 18 14:49:42 EDT 2005

George,

In one of those cosmic coincidences, I read your message this morning just after a conversation with our systems librarian about how much we like the style used for the new book lists on the Caltech site.  Would it be possible for you to send me contact info for the person who set up these lists (http://library.caltech.edu/techservices/new/newmaterials.htm)?

Thank you,

Kathleen

Kathleen H. Turner
Web/Education Librarian
W.W. Hagerty Library
33rd and Market Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2875

Tel: 215.895.6783
Fax: 215.895.2070
Khturner at drexel.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib at webjunction.org
To: Multiple recipients of list
Sent: 11/19/2004 12:15 PM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] RE: Convenience vs complexity and Google Scholar

Alane Wilson made an excellent point:

The three sterling databases named by the librarians Mr. Regazzi
surveyed are not convenient to use...they are probably several layers
deep in a library portal, and they no doubt require some kind of
authentication. The three resources named by the scientists are one
click.

Website design is a black art in many respects.  Getting enough of the
good stuff out in the open immediately [on your library's main entry
page(s)], while promising more context and more content deeper within
the site is a difficult balance.  Know your audience -- what they want,
what they'll tolerate, what will drive them away for keeps.

Way back in the early days of the web (MacWeb vs WinWeb browsers,
anyone?  Yes, Karen, many of us remember the triumphant Trumpet WinSock
moment), I had a manager extolling the virtues of designing a
"content-free" main page.  Virtually maintenance free!  The library's
main page is not a destination in itself, rather a jumping off point to
a few important links, which in turn might lead to a destination
(ejournal, database, etc).

Too many links on the entry page -- you may overwhelm your target
audience, perversely, satisfice them enough that they never venture
deeper into the website.

Too few links on the entry page -- you have nothing to offer; the
choices are too few (lack of context/contrast) to make good navigation
decisions.

Content-rich is the mantra we've adopted at Caltech
<http://library.caltech.edu>, but that decision was driven by knowing
our audience.  Your mileage may vary.

Convenience vs complexity.  Indeed!

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA 91125-4300
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681
http://library.caltech.edu
contributor http://stlq.info |
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html