Fiber Cut (Research on Search Engines)

Bennett, David bennett at rmcnet.robert-morris.edu
Wed May 18 14:38:54 EDT 2005

     My sincerest apologies to the list.  Our fiber-optic line was cut on
Friday afternoon and has just been repaired.  If you sent me email, it
probably bounced, and I'm terribly sorry.  If you would please resend the
message, it should be okay (although lightening can strike twice, can't
it?)

    I've received several interesting comments, but the most frequent
question was: "Why not include Hotbot in the study?"   I hope to expand
the study once all the bugs are worked out, and I would like to include
Hotbot at that time.  I've never taken Hotbot seriously, maybe it's the
name that turns me off, but I'm going to certainly take a second look.

     For this study, it is certainly hard to control all the variables.
For now, I'm satisfied that the search is performed from the same machine
with the same connection by the same person in the same hour.  There are
plenty of variations that occur from machine to machine: loading images,
processor speed, cache, time of day....the list goes on and on.  To ask
volunteers to participate, though, I wanted to keep the requirements as
simple as possible.

     I forgot, for example, that people handle cookies differently.  If
you keep the option to accept or decline a cookie, this will certainly
affect response time.  There are lots of issues to consider and  while it
may be difficult to measure the differences fairly, it is not impossible
to come to some useful conclusions.

     Thanks for your help and your patience!

>My Information Retrieval Class is doing a study on Internet Search
Engines.  We are comparing some >of the major search engines in terms of
currency, response time, and relevance.

>Our sample for response time is limited to Pittsburgh, PA...so I have a
request.  Would you perform the >following search:

>    "ultimate website"    <---  Make sure you use the quotes...this
forces the search to look for a phrase

>at:	http://www.altavista.com
>	http://www.excite.com
>	http://www.infoseek.com
>	http://www.yahoo.com
>
>One *FREE* PittCom1997 T-Shirt awarded at random to one lucky
participant.

> REPORTING SHEET
> Searches performed by:
> City, State, Country: