[WEB4LIB] RE: Library web presence

JOHN MARQUETTE JOHNMA at ci.commerce.ca.us
Fri May 6 20:32:13 EDT 2005

David et al.:

A traditional library home page offers at minimum a home page with links
to the OPAC and electronic resources.  I think that what we find
attractive about the BYU page is that the leap to the OPAC takes us to
Sirsi rather than Innovative or Dynix.  As such, we may find the Sirsi
interface (is it standard or customized for BYU?) brighter or cleaner
than the ones we see in our own libraries and implementations of
Innovative and Horizon/Dynix.

I can't speak to the functionality of the BYU/Sirsi implementation
except to say that it didn't appear to offer a full MARC record for an
author's work.  Though MARC records are not for the faint of
heart/average student, they can be very handy.

Only a few of the Innovative systems I've seen have the pretty pastel
and earth tones that BYU/Sirsi and Horizon/Dynix have incorporated into
their primary user interfaces.  Most of the Innovative and Horizon/Dynix
implementations have a link to a full MARC display.

The rest of the design elements compare at least as well to other
research universities its size, if not better.  (They should; they have
teams of former WordPerfect programmers in the immediate vicinity who
must have retrained to HTML by now).

My apologies to universities and colleges with non-Innovative or Dynix
systems.  I'm sure your implementations look and work well; I'm speaking
from my own experience as a user of the first two.

John Marquette