[WEB4LIB] Re: In defense of stupid users

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu May 5 18:19:37 EDT 2005

John W. Chapman wrote:
> Instead of spending a great deal of time in instructing the user
> on the proper way to use our tools, we should be leveraging the
> best of what the networked world has been building, and give our
> users that power and have them show us how it can be used. That
> is the way to develop savvy users.

For to be a teacher does not mean simply to affirm that such a
thing is so, or to deliver a lecture, &c.  No, to be a teacher in
the right sense is to be a learner.  Instruction begins when you,
the teacher, learn from the learner, put yourself in his place so
that you may understand what he understands and in the way he
understands it, in case you have not understood it before.  Or if
you have understood it before, you allow him to subject you to an
examination so that he may be sure you know your part.  This is
instruction.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  Projekt Runeberg - ditt digitala bibliotek - http://runeberg.org/