[WEB4LIB] Re: In defense of stupid users

Beth A Reiten reitene at okstate.edu
Thu May 5 17:52:31 EDT 2005

quoting Andrew Mutch
"We get it out of our system by sharing our patron stories with our
colleagues and then we can return to the trenches to keep up the excellent
work
that we all do. That's why when someone earlier posted about being
distressed
about the stories heard at conference I thought, "no, that's a good
thing"."

I have to respectfully disagree... in part... with this.  Yes, it's good
that we have a non-public, collegial place to vent.  Yes, it's great to
know that we're not alone.  And I love a good user story as much as the
next public services librarian.  However, there are two problems with this
arrangement that I have observed:

First, there are people who don't get relief from commiseration.  Rather,
sharing intensifies the feeling of frustration. They actually stew on
things more than if they had just gone home and taken a quiet bath and let
it go down the drain with the water.  Granted, not everyone has this
tendency, but not everyone is the other type, either.  And we don't always
know which one we are...  I finally figured out that I can get sucked into
the stewing if I'm not careful, but it took me a while.

Second, I watch people go to conference, vent and share, and then return
to the trenches.  Some are refreshed, but there is a considerable number
who have had that SU (stupid user) mentality reinforced, not relaxed.
Again, not everybody reacts like this, but I know some who do.  This
particular one seems to be more prevalent in the academic library world
than in the public library world, from my personal observations.  Perhaps
because academic librarians often hold a "higher" status than many of our
users?  What a professor buddy of mine calls "the disdainful doctorate."

I have personally found some of my more useful user-story conversations at
conferences to start with a SU story that then leads to a discussion of
how to remove the barriers that we may have unwittingly placed in their
way.  To enable that SU to go back to being a user in our minds, rather
than to just label them and let them rot in that pigeonhole.  The
conversations that distress me are the ones that are *only* rants about
SU, that turn into one-upmanship contests.

I'm afraid I've not found any solutions to the burn-out issue, or any of
the other things we've brought up today.  If I do, I'll let you know, if
you'll promise to do the same!  In the meantime, thanks for the
conversation today.  Lots of food for thought.

OSU is currently changing the campus IT structure and my e-mail will
continue to be extremely unreliable for the foreseeable future.  If you
have sent a message which I did not respond to, please try to resend it.
Beth Reiten, Asst. Professor & Librarian
Digital Library Services
Edmon Low Library
Oklahoma State University
Phone: 405-744-9109