[WEB4LIB] Re: In defense of stupid users

John W. Chapman johnwchapman at gmail.com
Thu May 5 15:13:23 EDT 2005

This is why I would argue for a lightened emphasis on "information literacy"
and a greater emphasis on designing more useful tools.

Approaches to many information retrieval/access/description/sharing problems
are currently being worked on at a greater speed than ever, by a number of
communities inside and outside the traditional library sphere of influence.

Instead of spending a great deal of time in instructing the user on the
proper way to use our tools, we should be leveraging the best of what the
networked world has been building, and give our users that power and have
them show us how it can be used. That is the way to develop savvy users.

Our role as gatekeepers is important, but to stretch the analogy, we should
be worrying more about the quality of the gate than checking the credentials
of each person who passes through.

--
- John
University of Minnesota Libraries