[WEB4LIB] Re: In defense of stupid users

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu May 5 14:31:56 EDT 2005

> Nina McHale wrote:
>
> >My random two bits, although I'm not sure I've added anything...can
> anyone turn away from preaching to the choir, and offer up something to
> Bernie's requested discussion, or are we mostly with Miller on this? :)
> >

> Well, I guess I don't have anything counter to say, but... if we're all
> in agreement here, why aren't we doing anything about it?
>
> -Ross.

Who says we aren't? Or are at least not trying to? I just heard someone talk
about usability testing. I see some library websites where the search for
the catalog is a simple box on the front page and they don't try to snare
you into searching by "subject." And after we roll out our new,
usability-tested site, our next grant year is going to be spent, God
willing, Googlizing LII's search, not necessarily with Google but through
some Rube Goldberg device that makes it possible to successfully search LII
with the same type of search terms folks plug into Amazon or Google. So what
are you doing? Or what would you want to do? Share.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com