[WEB4LIB] Re: In defense of stupid users

Sue Kamm suekamm at mindspring.com
Thu May 5 14:19:44 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: "Chen, Shu Sue" <ChenS at scc.losrios.edu>
Sent: May 5, 2005 10:50 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: In defense of stupid users

Here is an anecdote:

A patron asked for a piece of information that was somewhat challenging
to find. (Forgot what it was.)  I had to ask my fellow librarians for
help.  A couple of us were really turned on after checking some obvious
sources and failed to locate the information.  We all dived feverishly
and thoughtfully into the reference shelves and web resources.  When we
finally found the answer, the patron was long gone. We were sorry that
he left without having his question answered, but we felt nonetheless
pleased with our work.

>>Oh yeah.  IMO, one of the first traits a librarian must cultivate is that of the Elephant's Child.  For those unfamiliar with that story, here's a link:  http://www.online-literature.com/kipling/165/

Your friendly CyberGoddess and Councilor-at-large,
Sue Kamm
Inglewood/Los Angeles, CA
Truest of the Blue, Los Angeles Dodgers Think Blue Week 2000
Visit my home page:
http://suekamm.home.mindspring.com/index.htm
email:  suekamm [at] mindspring.com
"What I wonder is, where are all the guys who just like to play baseball?"
--Wes Parker, former Los Angeles Dodgers infielder