PDF versus HTML

Elena OMalley Elena_OMalley at emerson.edu
Wed Mar 30 13:28:55 EST 2005

Jennifer Heise wrote:
> The question is, are these documents that could be usefully used online?
> If not, then PDF is 100% what the user wants. However, PDF can't really
> be read online, and in fact can only be happily downloaded with a good
> computer and a fast connection. So it depends on your user group and the
> type of document you have.

I know we're in a minority, but there are online pdf readers. We do exist. :)
Admittedly, I tend to use "good" computers with "fast" connections, but
I read pdfs online frequently -- probably nearly every work day. Some of
them are double column. No disrepect meant to Walt Crawford's intentions,
but I read Cites & Insights online. I enjoy it being in pdf format --
none of the blinky inline ads and space-eating lefthand navigation that
are common in many html publications. (I am grateful for those html publications
that offer "format as print" -- I often use those to read online.) Pdfs are also
handy for manuals -- plenty of images, but still only one file to download.

To each his/her own.

Elena
__
Elena O'Malley, Head of Library Computer and Internet Services
Emerson College Library, Boston, MA 02116