[WEB4LIB] Re: PDF versus HTML

Andrew Darby adarby at ithaca.edu
Wed Mar 30 12:10:27 EST 2005

Well, I don't think this is true.  There are better uses for each
display method.  Jakob Nielsen, web usability guru of last resort, has
the following to say:

<snippet>PDF is good for printing, but that's it. Don't use it for
online presentation.</snippet>

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html

I would add that I had the same experience with Cites & Insights--I
thought it looked interesting, but found reading that sort of document
online frustrating.  Personal preference?  Oui.  But that drives users'
interaction with the web.

Andrew Darby
Web Services Librarian
Ithaca College Library