[WEB4LIB] RE: Web Page Width - To Restrict or Not to Restrict

Jarvis, Hugh W hjarvis at buffalo.edu
Mon Mar 21 11:17:43 EST 2005

For our web projects (the main, university site), we typically use flexible design.  Endusers should be able to stretch or shrink their pages to suit their needs.  Granted, certain sizes will look best, but the designer should never require one size.  This goes agains all web design, human-computer interface, and ADA/W3C principles.  We also run detects, so people with Flash get Flash, and those without get simpler HTML.  This approach also allows us to drive cellphone/PDA-compatible screens should be ever like to.

Cheers,

	Hugh

 Hugh Jarvis  (PhD, MLS)
 Cybrarian / UB Creative Services
 330 Crofts Hall, Buffalo, NY USA 14260-7015
 Tel: 716 645-5000 x1428
 Fax: 716 645-3765
 Email: hjarvis at buffalo.edu (preferred)