Handhelds (was Re: Web Page Width - To Restrict or Not to Restrict)

ScottPfitzinger.7473760 at bloglines.com ScottPfitzinger.7473760 at bloglines.com
Mon Mar 21 10:49:50 EST 2005

I would like to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion now.

How about
all the people that are now accessing online materials (including library
websites) from handheld devices? I have been observing a trend AWAY from large-screen
design (rather like html tables, which were popular for a few years, then
went away) toward restricted and fixed widths so that the sites are readable
on handhelds.

Are any of you libraries designing your website to accomodate
handhelds? Or maybe providing a "Mobile" version of your site?

Scott Pfitzinger

Reference Librarian
Butler University
Indianapolis, IN