[WEB4LIB] RE: CSS vs. Tables

John W. Chapman chapm157 at umn.edu
Wed Mar 9 16:53:37 EST 2005

The Section 508 rule, part 1194.22, paragraph D (see
http://egov.oregon.gov/DAS/508main.shtml and www.section508.gov for more
information) is designed to prevent information that is critical to proper
understanding of a document being communicated only through style sheets.
If a user has a personal style sheet that overrides the use of one on your
site, then emphasis conveyed strictly through text styles or sizes on YOUR
style sheet might be removed.

The overall point is that style sheets should be relied on only for
presentation and not for conveying shades of meaning.

Having said that, CSS-based layout has the potential for fairly complex
markup that may divide up text into groupings that may seem confusing to
the user who does not have the appropriate style sheet. In those cases,
following the other Section 508 guidelines regarding the use of explicitly
labeled elements should improve readability.

-John
John W. Chapman               chapm157 at umn.edu
Metadata Librarian            Phone: (612) 626-4204
                               160 Wilson Library
Technical Services            309 19th Avenue South
Univ. of Minnesota Libraries  Minneapolis, MN 55455