Yahoo 10th anniversary

David Fulton dfulton at mailbox.lpl.org
Thu Mar 3 11:23:27 EST 2005

The March 2005 issue Wired has an article asserting that Yahoo and
Google look different because their objectives are different. Having
your personal services (e-mail, stock portfolio, travel information)
in one site is convenient. Yahoo got lots of early adopters and now,
since there are so many other services available there, they are
reluctant to leave.

Here's an excerpt: "Google defines itself by its technology. (They)
wake up every morning thinking about how a new algorithm or another
rack of servers can be put to use to solve a particular problem. But
Yahoo! isn't out to save the world. 'I wake up every morning thinking
about what our customers want', (CEO Terry) Semel says. Google
invents for markets that don't exist; Yahoo! goes after markets it
wants to own. ...while Google was busy becoming what Yahoo! used to
be, Yahoo! has become what AOL should have been."
--
David Fulton
Liverpool Public Library
dfulton at mailbox.lpl.org