Problems with Yahoo Access

Alicia Abramson aabramson at ci.berkeley.ca.us
Fri Mar 11 17:56:49 EST 2005

Do any other libraries out there who offer public internet access have problems with slow response times when accessing Yahoo sites, especially mail.yahoo.com?  We've been experiencing this for several months here at Berkeley Public Library and haven't been able to find an explanation for it.  We host an internal DNS server for internal access to some in-house resources, and we also use our ISP's DNS (SBC) on the TCP/IP configuration for our systems for external name resolution.

Needless to say, it is upsetting to our patrons and to the public service staff who need to deal with the public's frustration.

It definitely seems to be worse as the day wears on and we have heavier usage of our systems.  We're on a dedicated T1.  Our ISP claims that their DNS is not at fault and I can see yahoo sites being resolved correctly in the logs on our own DNS.

If anyone else has experienced something like this and has any ideas to share on how to deal with it, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Alicia Abramson
Manager, Information Technology
Berkeley Public Library