Google Desktop Search questions

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Mar 11 17:27:28 EST 2005

Web4Lib--

Given the brouhaha surrounding the beta, I was surprised no one
mentioned it earlier this week when Google Desktop Search went live.
I've been using it and am trying to decide if I'm seeing two glitches or
just being confused (smart money on the latter).

First, GDS indexed a number of file names--but not content--from
directories in my Don't Search These Items list.  Anyone else spot that?

Second, the newly added support for Mozilla/Thunderbird e-mail seems a
little incomplete.  GDS not only indexes items in the Trash folder
(which is arguably not a Bad Thing), but I *believe* it indexes items
that have been deleted from Trash, if Trash hasn't been compacted yet.
I think I understand how that might be, but can anyone confirm whether
GDS is similarly clueless about Outlook mail folders?  I'm guessing that
few people regularly compact their mail folders; it seems to make the
"really delete this and make it go away and get it out of the index"
action unreasonably difficult.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu