FileMaker for journals database?

Joseph Murphy murphyjm at kenyon.edu
Wed Mar 16 12:26:38 EST 2005

One thing to consider is whether you really want to provide a
searchable database to your patrons. It may be acceptable to use the
database to generate static HTML pages, which you can then slice and
dice more efficiently on the back end. I did this back in the mists of
time with FileMaker and Lasso (although I can no longer remember the
versions) to manage a list of library databases.

Our judgement was that all the databases were cataloged, so
searchability was already available. The lists were a way to provide
browseability, both for the whole collection of databases and for
subject groups. The database was just a way to save us the work of
updating multiple pages, and to make sure that those pages were
consistent. Update the database once, run the relevant "reports"
(formatted with HTML), and move the files from the database server to
the web server. The users got the performance of static HTML on the web
server, and the network folks didn't have to worry about security on an
additional Intenet-accessible machine. The Webmaster (me) got a little
more work, but we were adding and dropping databases infrequently
enough that it wasn't that big a deal, after the initial investment.

Just another option of how it might work, depending on what services
you see your users actually using (and what resources are currently
available).

Joseph M. Murphy
Librarian and Technology Consultant
Library and Information Services