[WEB4LIB] RE: DNS Resolution of Log Files with Numeric IP Addresses

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Thu Mar 10 13:02:47 EST 2005

perhaps this is obvious, but DNS lookup will
introduce significant overhead when used for a
public web service (such as a university website)
which may service users from tens of thousands of
ip addresses from around the world. For a library
website where 99% of users come from a few
subnets, the overhead will be nil- the records
are all going to be in the DNS server's cache if
not in the local table.

--

Eric Hellman, President                            Openly Informatics, Inc.
eric at openly.com                                    2 Broad St., 2nd Floor