[Web4lib] Philosophy of Library web sites?

HAZEL Margaret E margaret.e.hazel at ci.eugene.or.us
Thu Jun 16 13:31:59 EDT 2005

Hi folks -

I have a meeting next week to discuss with our managers the "philosophy"
of our web site, so that we may start re-organizing and re-vitalizing
the content and design of our presence.  My basic premise is to discuss
whether we want it to be more of a marketing site, or a 24/7 services
center.  My main goal is to get other people than my Senior Computer
Tech assembling all the content each month, and while I don't care which
direction we go, it will be a different type of commitment from
different folks, depending on what they agree to do.

Can anyone recommend an overview article or two on these approaches for
libraries - in particular public libraries of a medium size - that I can
have people read before the meeting, for some context, and what each
approach might involve, in terms of staff time commitment and
involvement?

Thanks.

-Margaret

Margaret E. Hazel