[Web4lib] Open WorldCat Tools

Teets,Mike teetsm at oclc.org
Fri Jun 3 15:33:33 EDT 2005

The Yahoo and Google toolbars in our download area are free from adware.
The Google toolbar provides an option on install of allowing/disallowing
them to anonymously track your traffic for ranking purposes.  The
toolbars come packaged with additional tools beyond just search such as
the Autotext feature of the Google toolbar or the Antispy tool in the
yahoo bar.  Both can easily be uninstalled leaving little trace should
you decide you do not like them.

The two Firefox extensions do just search and only for Mozilla.  They
are quicker to install. They run locally so there is no direct
connection to the search services other than the searches you do using
the extensions.  These can be uninstalled by removing the files from
your \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins directory.  The .src
files include the source so if you are concerned with privacy, you can
see exactly what the tools do.

If you have specific questions about these tools, feel free to ask.

Mike Teets
Executive Director Product Architecture and Development
OCLC, Online Computer Library Center
Dublin, OH