[Web4lib] re: How to label the OPAC

David Walker dwalker at csusm.edu
Thu Jul 28 11:13:07 EDT 2005

Bernhard wrote:

>> How do you explain what Google lists and what
>> it doesn't? Aint't no easier than with the catalog...

Which brings us back to my original point.

It is rather easy to describe the library catalog if you just stop
thinking about it as a single system.  The problem is that we keep
thinking of it as a single system, and are groping to find a single
label for it.  Once you realize that the catalog is actually several
collections and tools, you can conceptualize and label each of those
separately.

On your homepage you can put links like this:

* Books
* Videos
* Music
* Journals and Newspapers

[etc.]

Books can go to the homepage of your catalog, or if you have a
metasearch system, to a page that gives the user many options to find
books.  Vidoes can go to your catalog with a limit for videos already
pre-set.  The same for Music.  Journals and Newspapers could go to a
page that includes your catalog's search for journal and newspaper
titles as well as your article databases.  And so on and so on.

In that way the website itself becomes the search tool (the "catalog" if
you will), and the OPAC is simply one portion of it (or rather several
smaller portions of it).

That's how Google works too.

--Dave

David Walker