[Web4lib] external JS array possible in this instance?

Ayanna Gaines ayannag at elmhurst.edu
Wed Jul 27 12:18:26 EDT 2005

Greetings. I am redoing our library's web site this summer. A new
feature I am enacting is a "What is this database" box that will feature
information about the database when the user moves the mouse over the
link for the database. I am doing this using a JavaScript array. You can
see a rough example at
<http://www.elmhurst.edu/~ayannag/ecweb/dbpolisci.html>. In this
example, the array is defined at the bottom of the code.

Because there are so many databases, and I have divided them up by
category, I am wondering if I can put my JS in an external page, to be
called within the HTML. I have taken a course in JS, and tweaked with
it, but I don't know enough to know whether the use of the 'div1' would
go awry if I were to do an external JS.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Please excuse any errors in my code
-- as I said, this is a rough example, and I have already seen some
problems with my CSS (and the fact that my referring URLs aren't
referring to the right places, since this is a mock-up in a temporary
holding place). I'll deal with those problems soon -- right now, my
primary concern is the JS array.  :)

Thanks!

--
Ayanna Gaines, Asst. Reference Librarian/Asst. Professor
A.C. Buehler Library, Elmhurst College