[Web4lib] How to label the OPAC (was: Role of the OPAC)

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Jul 25 13:27:28 EDT 2005

> they associate with their desired goal.  If a person doesn't understand
> "catalog", or the local brand name used for the catalog, seeing that noun
> by itself on a homepage will not create a learning experience.

Bingo. Many users will only encounter us through the Web--that has to be the
primary assumption going in. And how many potential users do we
lose--reasonably intelligent people who are making every effort to apply
what they know to our websites--because they look, they apply knowledge,
then they conclude we don't offer what we need? They aren't "dumb," and it's
not dumbing anything down to design the system around their task knowledge.

> possible ways around this:
>
> * Accompanying the label with other words and/or graphics to create a
> meaningful context.
>
> * Progressive disclosure: attract the user with "find books", leading to a
> page that introduces the catalog(s) and teaches whatever terminology is
> needed at that point.
>
> I think these techniques are applicable to a lot of terminology and
> learning issues on web sites as well as in publications, classes,
> reference
> interviews, etc.  I may try them on my dog, too (wish me luck)

I think that goes back to conditioning the user. (Or dog.) I like both
approaches. Biscuits are helpful, too.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com