[Web4lib] Re: OpenSearch, Koha, and Library Catalogs [SRW/U]

Ryan Eby ryaneby at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:05:20 EDT 2005

I have to agree that these two products aren't incompatible.  While I
haven't really done much with SRW/U I have done some with OpenSearch.
The main reason is that it is really just an extension to RSS and is
backwards compatible. This allows ease of use and adoption for people
as many are already familiar with RSS. It also lets me have one
interface for both RSS and OpenSearch.

I think it comes down to what your trying to accomplish and how much
metadata you need. If your just trying to syndicate search results
then OpenSearch is probably the way to go. If your trying to return
more metadata for a more enhanced search (metasearch, etc.) then SRW/U
is probably a must.

Ryan Eby