[Web4lib] Is your library using a Web Content Management System?

Isabel Danforth danforth at alumni.tufts.edu
Sun Jul 24 11:09:39 EDT 2005

John,

We have been rolling out the open source HyperContent CMS from Columbia
University since last year and all our library webpages are now running
through this.  We have found this to be very user-friendly and flexible.

HyperContent - http://hypercontent.sourceforge.net/
Library website - http://www.hull.ac.uk/lib/ (though please note a
re-design is currently underway).  For another design see a project website
at http://www.hull.ac.uk/esig/cree/

In answer to your queries:

1. + 2. see above
3. Benefits - open source software that is stable and does everything we
need it to; content editors have found it simple to use after short
training session; it integrates with our institutional portal (uPortal); it
offers very flexible XSLT design; all content can be output as
PDF.  Drawbacks - it is open source and therefore all support is down to us
(though this hasn't been a problem); version 1.4 has quite a few steps to
go through to edit content (although I understand that version 2.0 has
improved this); the interface isn't as intuitive as it might be.  It is a
Java-based system, so some in-house Java skill is required for
implementation and maintenance.
4. The driver behind our use of a CMS was the implementation of our
institutional portal.  The CMS serves the library, but only as one of the
many departments and sections making use of the system.  However, flexible
presentation was an important criteria, preventing the same content having
to held more than once for different webpages.  For the library there was a
matter of control (as in management, not big brother) - the CMS offered
this better than other options.
5. Much of the University of Hull website is using the CMS, though it is
still in the process of being rolled out.  The public front page of the
University uses a different system as the role of these pages (marketing)
is quite different to that of others.
6. We have distributed the editing and provision of content through the CMS
wherever possible.  There are therefore an increasing body of users around
the university.

Good luck in your search!

Regards,

Chris