[Web4lib] How to label the OPAC (was: Role of the OPAC)

John Kupersmith jkup at jkup.net
Sat Jul 23 14:03:56 EDT 2005

Regarding the issue of whether to label the OPAC as "library catalog" or
"find books" (or some variations on those), there are some patterns in
results taken from 28 usability studies:
< http://www.jkup.net/terms-studies.html >

"Catalog", like other traditional library tool names, tends to be cited
more often as problematic, but some studies report success with it.  When
modified by additional terms (e.g., "Books and more", "What we own") it
tends to do better.

"Find books" and other target-oriented terms tend to do quite well for
leading users to the types of material mentioned in the label.

Of course, much depends on what user population was involved, how the
questions were phrased, and what terminology was currently used on the site
being tested.  As David Walker points out, terms like "catalog" may work
better with experienced users, but natural language terms such as "find
books" may work for a broader spectrum of users.

Librarians' discussions of traditional vs. popular terminology tend to get
polarized, but in fact it's not an either/or situation.  Possibilities include:

* Combining "catalog" with other terms and/or graphics that amplify its
meaning.
Examples:
University of Arizona < http://www.library.arizona.edu/ >
Cal State San Marcos < http://library.csusm.edu/ >
UC Berkeley Music Library < http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MUSI/ >

* Including both "catalog" and "find" links to provide both convenient
links for experts and a learning path for novice users.  "Find books" can
also lead to a selection of options other than the catalog.
Example:
UC Berkeley < http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ >.

All this assumes the existence of the catalog in its present form.  To
those looking forward to more inclusive metasearch systems, I say "bring
'em on!" (though we will still be talking about terminology to help users
sort out the results).

--jk
   John Kupersmith        jkup at jkup.net        http://www.jkup.net
   Reference Librarian                 http://www.lib.berkeley.edu
   Doe/Moffitt Libraries
   University of California, Berkeley
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Not speaking for UCB in this message~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~