[Web4lib] Role of the OPAC (was: library automation vendors)

David Walker dwalker at csusm.edu
Fri Jul 22 18:02:45 EDT 2005

Hi Elena,

This is probably a good point for me to clarify.

I'm not suggesting that we simply replace the link to the "library
catalog" with the word "books."  I'm suggesting that we need to get away
from having only one link to the catalog -- in fact, we should stop
thinking of the catalog as something that needs a single label or
description.

I think we should have several links -- one that says "books" another
that says "music", "libretos," and so on.  Many of those links will go
to the catalog, or perhaps just some part of it.  Or perhaps they will
go to resources that include the catalog and other databases.  Two
different links might even go to the exact same place.

It doesn't really matter.  The important thing in providing navigation
is to give users terminology they recognize, since users tend to scan
pages and don't want to have to think about what a rather vague and
jargony label like "library catalog" might or might not contain.

>> Ours, year after year on usability tests,
>> immediately clicked on "library catalog"
>> when asked "find a book about blah."

Interesting.  Who do you use in your user tests?  Students who have
already used the library?  Would they be as certain to pick or not pick
the catalog when you ask them to find other formats?

I ask because when we test juniors and seniors we see these same
results.  When we test freshmen who have never even stepped foot in our
library, however, they immediately gravitate toward terminology that is
more familiar, like 'books' and 'journals'.

Actually, when we present our users with interfaces that don't use
library terminology like "library catalog" at all, all of users do just
fine, which makes me think that we don't really need the jargon in the
first place, even if some have adapted to it.

--Dave

David Walker
Web Development Librarian
Library