[Web4lib] Firefox cardcat search

Wayne Graham wsgrah at wm.edu
Fri Jul 22 11:58:51 EDT 2005

There are a lot of these types of plugins over at
http://mycroft.mozdev.org. Since I'm on the project, I try to add the
academic ones when I see them. So, if you want to write and/or request
other plugins, this is another great place to look and add plugins.

This discussion actually motivated me to finish up an extension I had
been working on for a while that allows you to select text in Firefox
(I've not tested it in Mozilla yet) and then launch a search for that
text against our library catalog(s). Since we're a consortia, I made a
menu that allows you to select which library you would like to launch
the search against. In the plugin options, you can set the order, the
resources to search, and how the results are displayed (new tab, same
window, new window). You can add your own search engine(s) to this list
and customize it to your heart's content. If you ever mess it up beyond
all recognition, you can always restore the defaults.

You can get the plugin at http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/ (direct
link: http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/software/librarysearch.xpi).
You can read the blog post about it at
http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/index.cfm/2005/7/22/firefox-library-search.