[Web4lib] OPAC hacks

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Jul 21 13:41:42 EDT 2005

Andrew Darby wrote:
> I'd also be interested in hearing what sort of "OPAC hacks" people are
> doing, not customizing the interface using the tools provided by the
> vendor, but either correcting something with, say, javascript, or
> extracting the information from the catalog and re-presenting it.

Having made our Innovative catalog's starting page default to a keyword
search, we grafted an "Advanced Keyword Search" form into the interface;
it's an EBSCOhost-y form with multiple prompts, each with their own
option for field delimiting.  As I recall, we cribbed the idea from
another Innovative library that had hacked something similar in
JavaScript; ours submits to a PHP script on another machine which
formulates the corresponding single search string and bounces you back
into the catalog.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu