[Web4lib] RE: library automation vendors

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Wed Jul 20 09:03:51 EDT 2005

But why would pulling that information from a big database in Ohio instead
of from a small database in Anaheim keep them from finding that out?  Or
alternatively pulling the author and title information from OCLC and the on
shelf information from a local system and combining them for the user? Your
existing library system probably works that way now, pulling the
bibliographic information from one (or several) dataset(s) and the
circulation information from another and combining them on the fly.

And of course as we eventually move more into e-books the definition of "in
my library" is going to change for books just as it already has for
journals.

- Jim Campbell
Campbell at Virginia.edu