[Web4lib] RE: vendors and usability

C.S. Durfee csdurfee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 16:33:01 EDT 2005

Yes, the ILS I was talking about uses a standard SQL database and
heavily uses stored procedures, views and triggers... I wasn't really
trying to compare the two as far as functionality.  I was really just
trying to make the point that library software is complex, period.  I
don't understand why anyone, especially people who administer or
program library software for a living, should find that in the least
controversial.

AFAIK, nobody has written an ILS from scratch in the past few years
that, as of right now, has equivalent functionality to the major
players.  Most of them are built on top of codebases which are 10
years old or more.  Anybody who was writing an ILS from the ground up
today would be crazy to not use as much of other peoples' plumbing and
buisness components as possible, but the technology (and the mindset)
wasn't there 10 years ago. And I agree, it's insane that library
software vendors are still writing their own shopping carts or search
engines or Z39.50 components, much less their own RDBMSes...

But often backporting cutting-edge stuff to a system that was designed
10 or more years ago is just not feasible, and at best you're putting
a hat on a mule.  It might be an awful nice hat, but it's still just a
mule.  Starting from scratch is a regression testing nightmare and a
several million dollar and several year effort, during which your
ability to improve your existing products is severely limited, which
drives off large chunks of your customer base to other systems that
may be mules with hats, but at least are for sale today.   Given the
state of the market, it's not surprising that vendors are very
conservative about doing so.

Once you've got a fairly robust codebase, even if it's 20 years old,
it's usually more feasible to keep going on with it.  After that long,
you're bound to have gotten rid of a whole lotta bugs. Of course it's
often very brittle -- you add shiny brand new feature X and it breaks
breaks some piece of code that nobody's even looked at in 18 years.
Or it comes to the point where it's just impossible to develop it any
further.  So yeah, does an ILS have to be 3 million lines of from
scratch legacy code?  Heck no.  Are there any systems out there that
were written after 1999 or so, designed bottom-up in an enterprise
programming language like Java or C#, using standard RDBMS technology,
supporting standards from the 60's (MARC) to today (SRW/U, VIEWS,
etc.) and built around robust, widely used components?  I know of
several in the pipeline, but none that you could go live with today.