[Web4lib] RE: vendors and usability

C.S. Durfee csdurfee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 20:38:33 EDT 2005

As far as I know, vendors haven't ever made that claim.  I made that
claim.  If you disagree with it, I'd like to hear your reasoning or
evidence to the contrary rather than some blanket statement like "that
sounds like it came directly from a TLC proposal...it's simply not
true".

I made it because I know about how many lines of code there are in the
entire OpenOffice suite (about 10 million lines total among the 5
separate programs that make up the suite) and about how many lines of
code there were in one major ILS vendor's product as of a couple of
years ago (around 3 million if you include the OPAC software).
OpenOffice Writer has pretty much the same feature set as MS Word.  So
with only a little handwaving I feel confident saying that there are
about as many lines of code in a for-pay ILS as MS Word, and since the
ILS holds your hand a lot less than Word does, I think that adds up to
it being much more complex overall.

Furthermore, the documentation on all the configurable features in
that major ILS is about 2500 pages long, it's written at a very high
level for people with a deep knowledge of how libraries operate and is
not particularly prolix.  "Microsoft Word 2003 Inside Out" is 976
pages long, a lot of which is on using Visual Basic for Applications
macros, and is written for total beginners.  The ILS' manuals don't
cover programming stored procedures or scripting at all, which would
be the  equivalent to VBA macros.  I think the number of pages of
documentation required to operate a piece of software is probably an
even better measure of how complex it is than the number of lines.
The number of function points would be the best metric, but I don't
know if anyone's performed such an analysis on any ILS software.