[Web4lib] RE: vendors and usability

C.S. Durfee csdurfee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 17:03:52 EDT 2005

With all due respect, I have found in my experience that it is rather
a bad idea to "log every single problem or usability issue, no matter
how small".  That can lead to a situation where all perspective is
lost, and all problems are treated with the same level of severity -
none.  You really don't want your vendor treating trivial issues with
the same degree of urgency as more serious ones.  And you don't want
your vendor to spend all of their time firefighting, fixing things
that are problems for just a handful of customers, instead of building
next generation systems.

Besides, you always always always catch more flies with honey than
with vinegar.  You need to pick your battles carefully and win every
one.  How? For starters, by being polite but firm, and making it
easier for the vendor to fix the bug (by always filing exact steps to
reproduce the problem) and for them to understand why it is such a big
issue for your library.   Being the customer from hades is not the
best way to achieve that, in my experience.

Library systems software is extremely complex.  There are a lot of
reasons for that (some obvious, some not so obvious) which I won't go
into here, but it is.  I do not know for sure, but I am willing to bet
that the number of function points (a standard metric of software
complexity) for a complete ILS is much higher than for, say, MS Word.
I would love to see a vendor actually provide such an analysis to
their customers, though.

I do agree with the suggestion to do what you can to get the best
software for your money.  Capitalism is a great way of encouraging the
development of better products.  If one vendor is better than the
others, by all means, give them your business!  And even if you are
using the best vendor in the world, negotiate for the best price you
can get.