[Web4lib] Software to run an "internal" bloglines-like servic e?

Bobb Menk bmenk at ll.mit.edu
Mon Jul 18 17:03:48 EDT 2005

To aggregate the gist of the responses I had off list to this question:

The only software specifically devoted to this function at the moment,
appears to be Urchin originally done by the people who publish the
journal "Nature" and now available at http://urchin.sourceforge.net/

It's written in perl and requires a combination of Apache and MySql.
It's currently at level .92 so it may come out of beta fairly soon.

I also got some pointers to the aggregator module in Drupal at
http://drupal.org/node/21963 which is PHP/MySql based.

Other blogging software that look possibly promising are WordPress at
http://wordpress.org/ and Blog:CMS at http://blogcms.com/

One other product out there is called phpNewsFork at
http://www.borho.net/news/ - but I haven't been able to quite figure out
what it really does.

I also had a few pointers to software packages that were more just feed
readers for the desktop - something that my searches had a tough time
weeding out as well given how much the descriptive terminology overlaps
with what I'm thinking about doing....

I've been using the MT-Feeds plugin for MovableType to incorporate RSS
feeds into my blogs, but am thinking about ways to make the feed links
more manageable for my bloggers.

Other thoughts, leads, or general ideas remain welcome. Thanks to all
who replied.

Bobb Menk
bmenk at ll.mit.edu
MIT Lincoln Laboratory Library