[Web4lib] RE: vendors and usability

David Walker dwalker at csusm.edu
Mon Jul 18 16:38:36 EDT 2005

>> The same thing has been done
>> with the librarian interfaces.

Which honestly, Josh, I think is a major drawback to Koha.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an absolutely wonderful project.  I
would recommend it for any small public or school library today, and
will be happy to dump our lumbering, commercial ILS system in five to
ten years when Koha or some other open source ILS can compete in the
academic market.

But to do that, I think you need *desktop* clients for the back-end
modules.  A web interface for the end-users is a must.  But web
interfaces for management modules are simply clunky for anything but the
most trivial of tasks.  Heck, I would even take a terminal interface
over a web interface for cataloging, acquisitions, and circulation.

Unless, of course, Koha 3.0 will provide that.  In which case I will be
happy to eat my words and up the timeline to conversion. ;-)

--Dave

David Walker
Web Development Librarian
Library