[Web4lib] Getting catalog software vendors to make more useable software choices

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Sun Jul 17 11:47:32 EDT 2005

Lars Aronsson wrote:

>A similar (dis-integrated) model for libraries could be achieved
>if the library published their MARC records for public download,
>so users could import them into a search system they run on their
>own personal computer.

In a sense they do, although not usually the whole database in one fell
swoop. Most systems today do allow a record set download, either in MARC
or, more commonly, a tagged format. The big problem is that the tools
for using bibliographic data on desktops are very poor, in my
experience. I had to do some work with EndNote and found the user
interface annoying and unpleasant, and the entire program just way too
lumbering to be usable. I know that there are some folks working on open
source bibliographic software, but I'm not sure that the user interfaces
are any better.

I always hoped that we could use a client-server model, where a library
system would produce the "raw" results (the retrieved set), and a client
on the user's machine would provide both an interface, and a tools for
manipulating the set. This could be a "best of both worlds" solution --
the library machine would do the heavy lifting of retrieving the needed
records out of various millions of ones that aren't of interest, and the
client machine would have features that were customized for that user.
For example, retrievals could be sorted into "ones you've already seen"
vs. "new". (Anyone who is in the midst of in-depth research runs across
the same resources in various databases and in various searches in a
single database.)  Users could define their favorite "buckets" (date
based, topic based, whatever) and would see their new retrievals (and
their stored bibliography) organized in those categories.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net