[Web4lib] RE: vendors and usability

Jesse Ephraim JEphraim at ci.southlake.tx.us
Sat Jul 16 16:02:57 EDT 2005

"For years, my library has been struggling with some basic usability
flaws in our online catalog interface for the web, things that can't
apparently be done with the software as it stands and are apparently low

priority for the vendor.
What are librarians doing to pressure catalog softwarevendors to address

usability issues?"

There are several things you can do:

1) Call the vendor every single time there is a problem or a usability
issue, no matter how small.  Use the support and maintenance agreement
to its fullest.  If everyone does this, it will become more
cost-effective for them to simply fix the problems (or make the software
more usable).

2) Haggle very hard over the cost of everything.  Library automation
software companies don't get challenged enough on their prices, and many
don't feel that they have to be competitive since it is an involved
process to change software (and there are a limited number of
competitors).  However, many will come down pretty significantly
(particularly on support/maintenance costs) if you dig your heels in,
particularly if you let them know that you have been talking to other
vendors who are willing to take less and have been evaluating open
source solutions.

3) I was a professional programmer for 10 years, and believe me when I
say that most of the automation software out there is VERY poorly
written.  If I had produced code like that for final release on
corporate projects I would have been fired at any of my old tech jobs.
When haggling or negotiating new charges, increases in annual fees, etc.
it is always best to point out the many flaws (bugs or usability issues)
in the product, the number of hours of work staff loses each month in
dealing with these flaws, how the flaws have affected your patron
relations, etc.  It is hard for them to defend themselves against these
points.  The programming behind these projects is not particularly
complex (definitely not nearly as difficult as game programming) - there
is no reason that they can't produce better products.

- Jesse