[Web4lib] OpenSearch, Koha, and Library Catalogs

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Jul 15 17:39:26 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 05:44:56PM -0400, Ross Singer wrote:
> To be fair, Talis also has OpenSearch support.  In fact, I believe this
> was the first ILS to create an OpenSearch interface.
You can tell the date that each ILS was added to A9 when you
list the column under 'Added'. At least on A9 that means
that British Library was first, Seattle Public second and
Nelsonville (Koha) third. Not that it's a race or anything ;-)

> Of course, this is largely moot, as no one actually uses A9.
Hey! :-). I've actually grown attached to it. I really like the
column layout. Note that you can add search engines (like Google)
in your columns as well. It's an interesting way to compare results
from different search engines side by side.

Also, OpenSearch introduces something new: you can create RSS feeds
on _queries_. I think that feature alone makes it pretty useful.

Cheers,
--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
LibLime                  Koha ILS, Mambo Intranet, DiscrimiNet Filter