[Web4lib] OpenSearch, Koha, and Library Catalogs

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Jul 15 17:06:47 EDT 2005

Have folks looked at A9's OpenSearch?

http://opensearch.a9.com/

If library vendors add support for OpenSearch it allows
users to include library results in the list of results
returned from their queries on A9.com.

Koha currently supports OpenSearch. If you want to see
an example of what it looks like add Nelsonville Public
Library to your 'columns' in A9 and you'll start getting
Nelsonville's results on your searches.

BTW: So far as I know, Koha was the second ILS to support
the standard (Innovative beat us by a few days ;-)). But
note that the services offered with Koha's version of
OpenSearch include placing reserves, and performing
author searches, etc. To compare III and Koha's support
of OpenSearch add the Seattle Public Library to your
list of columns.

Just something else that I thought might be interesting to
add to the discussion and maybe pull folks off the Google
topic ;-).

Cheers,
--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
LibLime                  Koha ILS, Mambo Intranet, DiscrimiNet Filter