[Web4lib] Getting catalog software vendors to make more useable software choices

Jenne Heise jahb at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jul 15 12:39:01 EDT 2005

Karen Coyle wrote:

> When the U of Calif was doing its RFP for a vendor system we looked at
> the RFPs that some other large libraries (including LC) had done.
> These documents were 50-100 pages in length and went into incredible
> detail about the workings of the modules for acquisitions, serials
> check-in, etc. They said shockingly little about the requirements for
> the user interface.

Have any groups or institutions compiled a list of user interface
requirements? I know that with the web-based user interface, there's
sometimes an assumption that the interface can be locally customized to
handle user interface requirements, but when the software is examined,
it turns out the interface is not as customizeable as was thought.

-- Jenne Heise