[Web4lib] RE: Another Google question

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Fri Jul 15 11:05:33 EDT 2005

> Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:52:31 -0700
> From: Roy Tennant <roy.tennant at ucop.edu>
>
> So, in other words, the Google "link:" search is worse than useless.
> Useless because it fails to work as advertised and worse than
> useless because it will return just enough so one could imagine it
> was working as they supposed (and as depicted by Google). Does
> anyone else feel the wheels starting to come off the car?

No.  And that's the whole point.  We couple of hundred information
professionals on this list care deeply about this stuff, but we do
need to come to terms with the fact that no-one else does.  As far as
the other 5,999,999,980 people out there are concerned, Google is just
fine.  If we pretend otherwise, we're hiding out heads in the sand.

After all, the world's most dominant software vendor achieved that
position by producing a badly flawed product that was "just good
enough".  Why should we be surprised that the world's most dominant
search provider is adopting the same strategy?

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Click Finish to start creating the word list." -- Windows 95
	 "help" system.