[Web4lib] Google Print snippets

Jennifer Heise jahb at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Jul 11 11:15:04 EDT 2005

Yeah, I have. Ok, so I'm a 'Google is not so evil' proponent (years of
struggling with Lexis Nexis and the various ejournal publisher website
search engines must have rotted my brain...)

You see, I work in an academic library at the moment, but my hobby
contacts are with those in the medieval re-enactment community. The
practical aspects of medieval life are not well covered by any indexes.
If you are looking for material on my area of interest, medieval herbs,
you sort through a lot of junk and follow up a lot of citations that
turn out to be dead ends. I've also worked with academics on the kinds
of questions (like hormones in hamsters) that are not well suited to
many of the existing tools. Furthermore, the general public is often
completely barred from using the existing tools by the same price
barriers we all know about as librarians.

In that case, full text indexing which provides a snippet of citation,
like Lexis-Nexis' or ISI's KWIC indexing, could be very helpful to FIND
materials that could very well be held in a library near you or be
available for purchase via a used bookseller. In that case, relevance
ranking is probably a lot more helpful than exhaustive searching, if the
set is big enough.

So, I guess, having looked up medieval bathing, herbalism, cooking, etc.
on various of the really good indexes and also on Google and Google
Scholar, I see Google as a useful additional tool, depending on the
subject.

/   Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Email: jahb at lehigh.edu
\ \ Lehigh Library & Technology Services, Phone: (610) 758-3072
  / Fairchild-Martindale Library, 8A Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015

"Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard