[Web4lib] question about ezproxy for selective content delivery

Karl Suhr ksuhr at semo.edu
Thu Jul 7 11:40:54 EDT 2005

Is it possible to use EZproxy for selective content delivery?

  As a 'for instance': our academic library is interested in clearly
delineating what databases are accessible to which users
(students/faculty/staff vs. general public)  from off campus.  Right
now, links to individual databases are routed through EZproxy and
authenticated that way.  Would it be possible route the link to our
databases page through EZproxy, and depending on the nature of the
login, serve one page or another?

 In other words,from off campus a student would click on 'find articles'
on our library home page (library.semo.edu if that provides any helpful
context), enters his/her campus id & password and is served a page to
Proquest and all the other fee-based databases plus Pubmed etc.   On the
other hand, a local patron clicks on 'find articles', is instructed, if
not a student/staff/faculty, to enter 'public' and '12345' for login and
password, and is served a page with just the 'free' databases listed. (
Walk in use is available for all patron types, btw)

  So to make a long story short? Can EZProxy do something like this? Has
anybody implemented something like this, and if so, are there any
caveats or gotcha's to be aware of?

  I'm trying to find an alternative to, say, using little icons to
indicate if a particular database requires a login.  Any other
suggestions toward that goal would be most welcome, too.

 Thanks,

Karl