[Web4lib] Google search results question

Hester, Mary HesterM at bartonccc.edu
Wed Jul 6 14:55:17 EDT 2005

 I became intrigued by this and did a quick "ask a librarian" in several
search engines.

Google: said there were 6,010,000  but actually only went to 925 before
ended; when did the "results omitted" said there were 5,970,000 but
actually only went to 1000 before ending.
Vivisimo: only went to 214 results of "at least 855,953"  and didn't see
a place to search "results omitted".
Yahoo: said there were 6,220,000 but would only go to 1000. When did the
"results omitted" said there were 5,880,000 but again only went to 1000
Teoma: Said there were 571,500 but only went to 198, did not see a place
to search "results omitted".
Clusty: said there were 855,951 but only retrieved 222, did not see a
place to search "results omitted".

This in one of those things I could spend hours on so I made myself quit
after five search engines.

Mary Hester
Barton County Community College Library Great Bend, KS 67530
hesterm at bartonccc.edu

hesterm at bartonccc.edu