[Web4lib] Another Google question

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:31:27 EDT 2005

Bernie,
 A huge problem with that is that most Web servers do not return reliable
date information in the HTTP dialog. Many servers don't return date
information at all; many others return the instant of the HTTP transaction
instead of the date that the page was created or changed. Database-driven
servers are especially culpable.
 I regard this as one of the major failures of the Web revolution.
 With news media sources, they've got more to work with. I've seen some
evidence that Google is partnering with major sources to provide good
metadata as part of the feed, instead of just screen-scraping the Daily
Planet's Web site.
 /rich