[Web4lib] search engine inconsistencies report page

Felicia Mehl felicia at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 5 22:59:41 EDT 2005

Although that's a good point about the inconsistencies page being last updated in 2003, my reason for forwarding a link to the page was to point out the problems specifically listed about Google (which were last updated in October 2003--not an eternity!). It was not in any way to offer any comparison to AltaVista, Hotbot or Northern Lights. To be honest, I haven't even looked at those pages. My interest was in Google only--I merely sent the link to the entry page.

A couple of people have mentioned that Google's algorithms must have changed a lot in the last year or two, but I'm not sure this is the case. What do you base that assumption on? I sure that they've been adjusted, but some of the problems discussed on the list earlier are the same ones discussed on the Notess site. I offered it merely for its possible explanations of the problems and as a suggestion for a place to report inconsistencies. Prof. Notess does request on the site that people email him with any additional problems they notice. I took him for his word on that and still do! (By the way, I have emailed him and requested an update to that page, if at all possible.)

Google also requests feedback and as someone mentioned in an earlier post, they were responsive to his emails and fixed the errors. Of course, it's probably impossible for them to fix it completely, but if you see something that's a problem, I think it's important to try and take action to fix it. How you go about it is up to you--you could contact the product/service provider or someone who is a consumer watchdog or yes, even a university!

If there's any more up-to-date information on these issues, please pass it along. I'm very interested in this topic and would like to read more about it.

Thanks,
Felicia