[Web4lib] Google search results question

Felicia Mehl felicia at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 5 17:32:57 EDT 2005

I took a class on search engines where we did various searches on Google and
compared results. We noticed, like you did, that the number of actual
results was not the same as the estimate, also that each person got
different numbers of total results although their searches were exactly the
same (as per the assignment), and that using the "OR" operator seemed to
generate a total number of results that didn't make sense mathematically.
Our prof said that in some cases it was because these numbers were only
estimates (based on how Google indexes documents), and in the case of "OR"
that it was a problem with their algorithm.

Sorry I don't have more details but hope that helps,

Felicia Mehl
Starving graduate student, Master of Library and Information Science
University of Washington